Monday, May 11, 2009

Labor of Love





Every costume I've ever made for my children has been a labor of love, whether it be for Halloween (absolute best holiday), a school dress-up day or for a play. The year I made the three "50's" girl's skirts for my daughters was no exception. I planned to make each skirt with it's own design, so each one would be unique. Usually Brad helps me with my costumes when it comes to applying any kind of hardware or painting (like the Riddler costume we made Kevin...I made the green coat and Brad handpainted questions marks all over it). The year I made the skirts, Brad was living in Las Vegas studying for the Nevada Bar and I was left on my own to figure out how to apply the details to each skirt. The skirts turned out darling and the girls; ages 22 months, five and eight were a big hit at the school carnival. Fast forward through many ward 50's themed parties, and the skirts were not really being used very much anymore. Then when Meghan was in 2nd grade she didn't know what to wear for Halloween, so I pulled out the skirt that was originally Allison's and suggested she wear it. She did wear it and spent the entire afternoon trying to explain to her fellow second graders what a "50's" girl was. I don't think that she even knew. I was pretty sure we were done using the skirts, and even suggested last Halloween that we give them away as a set, so that another family with three cute little girls like mine would be able to use them together. The girls put up a collective whine, begging me to keep them for just one more year. Well, shortly after that day, Meghan had Spirit week at school and one of the spirit days was a "50's" day. I'm not even being prejudice when I say that she was the cutest, most authentic looking "50's" chick at the school. Looks like the labor of love paid off once again.

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute? This blog was from 2009-come on girls, time to update the old blog!!

    ReplyDelete