Sunday, February 22, 2009

Obsession vs. Addiction



Miriam Webster defines Obsession as a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling: compelling motivation. It defines Addiction as a compulsive need for and use of a habit forming substance.

All of us have things or ideas that we become more interested in than others. Our interest in these things wax and wane, so we rarely become truly obsessed or addicted. In my early years of being a wife and mother I am embarrassed to admit that I was obsessed with keeping a very clean house, especially my bathrooms. In a relief society lesson I told everyone about how I wouldn't leave my house to run errands if it were dirty, because if I were killed while I was gone, then people would know I was a bad housekeeper. Obsessive? Probably, but I have gotten over it, luckily! Every obsession or addiction is geared to make you feel better. It will make you feel better about yourself, your circumstances and sometimes even the people that you associate with.
Recently, there are two things that I am very obsessed/addicted with. The first is a store in St. George called Urban Renewal. When I walk into this store it holds as much fascination for me as a five year old who finds herself in the middle of a candy store. The pretty colors; different shapes; old, new, and painted furniture; the second hand and designer's rack clothing straight from New York; the dishes, tables, couches, armoirs, and dressers; fabrics in bright prints and cowhide; sunglasses, earrings, rings, coats and cowboy boots; lamps that are new and lamps reconditioned; paintings and posters; roosters and pointed shoes; all arranged in an artsy, clever fashion. I have something from that store in every room of my house. I can spend hours browsing through the merchandise and never see the same thing twice, fantasizing about a purchase that would look just perfect in a particular part of my home. My children assume that I am lost in the lure of the store if they can't reach me on my cell phone while working in St. George. They know the siren call this place holds for me, yet, I prefer to think of it as an obsession, due to the fact that it is harmless. I beautify my home with my purchases (which are very reasonably priced) and except for a few small clothing purchases, I buy reconditioned pieces, which makes me feel a little noble about my contribution in keeping the world "green."
My second obsession/addiction is a very special candy. This candy only comes out at Easter time, but, bless the retailer's pointed heads, they start stocking it in the stores as early as Valentine's day. This candy is the Cadbury Mini Egg. I love this candy. My husband bought me two (count them, two) 24 oz bags for Valentines day last year. This is one of the reasons he is a keeper. I love the hard candy coating that crunches when you bite into one. I love the chocolate inside that I always promise myself to keep in my mouth until it fully melts, but then I lose control, and chew and swallow it before I know what has happened. I love that you can have 12 whole candies for a mere 190 calories and that they are larger and more satisfying than any
M & M. I love these candies so much that when I saw a large display in Smith's the other day, I let out a little squeal and punched Allison to show her how beautiful it looked.
I know which of these things are an obsession and which is an addiction. All I can say is that it's a good thing the candies only come out once a year, or you would find me in a darkened room, sitting in a circle with several other people sharing my story in hushed tones of late night runs to the store for those beautiful purple bags that are hidden all over my house so I don't have to share them with anyone!

4 comments:

  1. Whoppers and Jigzone on the computer - love them. Thanks for making me think - love your posts! Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to think about my obsessions/addictions ...I'm not quite sure. I think I go thru phases. I'll post about it on our blog later. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - Mini eggs are OHHH so good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt see this blog until after I sent your eggs...I know how you feel about these little fellas.

    ReplyDelete